when do guineas start laying?

You need to hire a private investigator to find the eggs if you let them free -range... they are past masters at hiding their nests...... I found a nest with no less than 18 eggs in it - all were from my Guinea Fowl...."!!!

Some people's guineas have already started, mine should start sometime around the first of April.
You should have no less than 4sq foot per bird.
What colors are the ones you are getting? Also, what is the male to female ratio

Last edited:
They where pearl and pied, but he sold them today and I was going to get them tomorrow. ohwell
Some people's guineas have already started, mine should start sometime around the first of April.
You should have no less than 4sq foot per bird.
What colors are the ones you are getting? Also, what is the male to female ratio

there is a big poultry auction at triple w livestock in cookville march2. they will have all kinds of poultry. just google triple w livestock

I'm in Pennsylvania and I was wondering when they start to lay eggs. I have 19 Gunieas 13F and 5M. I had to build a coop for them due to predator issues. Most importantly at what age do they start laying eggs? I tried incubating about 100 last year and failed big time. A few hatch live and most died and most were developed by never hatched.

I'm in Pennsylvania and I was wondering when they start to lay eggs. I have 19 Gunieas 13F and 5M. I had to build a coop for them due to predator issues. Most importantly at what age do they start laying eggs? I tried incubating about 100 last year and failed big time. A few hatch live and most died and most were developed by never hatched.

Young Hens can lay as soon as 14-15 weeks of age, and typically Guinea Hens are seasonal layers (Spring thru Fall), but some of us do get a few eggs here and there thru the off season. march and April are the most common months for flocks to start breeding and the Hens to start laying... the longer daylight hours triggers them.

If your birds are not allowed to free range, there may be too much aggression in the coop, preventing them from breeding, and possibly effecting your fertility rates.

What kind of incubator did you use, and what was the temp?

I bought 10 (8F/2M) late April last year for the first time and let them free range. By the time August rolled around I was down to 1. I had several nests where I was able to collect about 100 eggs over a short period of time. I used two incubators from Tractor Supply. I left a few others nest on their own and eventually they were destroyed by dogs and oppossums. Late Summer - early Fall I bought a few hatces with about 30 total. In the last few weeks I culled 11 males from the flock and a few weeks before that I removed 10 chickens. The 18 Guineas I have left share the coop (pictured below) with two Turkeys. The pen has been much more quiet since I removed the extra birds. I'm unsure if I want to try and free range them again.

Back
Top Bottom