When Do hens go Broody?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mr.Grantly, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Mr.Grantly

Mr.Grantly Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    I have 2 iso sexs 1 year old, 1 bantom cochin, one barred rock, and one buff braham. The barred rock hen is the only one of the new birds other than the isos that are laying eggs and my question is now that my rooster is breeding everything when will one of my hens go broody? I would really like to hatch some chicks for my boys:rolleyes:

Thanks Granty

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Mr.Grantly :

I have 2 iso sexs 1 year old, 1 bantom cochin, one barred rock, and one buff braham. The barred rock hen is the only one of the new birds other than the isos that are laying eggs and my question is now that my rooster is breeding everything when will one of my hens go broody? I would really like to hatch some chicks for my boys:rolleyes:

Thanks Granty

They will go broody whenever they choose to.​

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Some breeds go broody more often than others - the ISA Browns and Barred Rock are production breeds, so broodiness was deliberately supressed by breeders, so they are unlikely to go broody. Not to say it's impossible, just unlikely. I'm not real familiar with Bramha's.

A lot of bantam breeds are broody by nature and Cochins and Silkies top the list, so I think it's highly likely your Cochin will go broody at some point. I used to get a few oddballs that would go broody in the wintertime, but once spring is in the air, broodiness was like a disease and they ALL got it. [​IMG]

There's not a lot you can do to encourage broodiness other than have a nice nest box available to her. Some people will suggest leaving eggs in the nest, but that is highly unreliable and often a waste of good eggs!

Good luck!

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    They will go broody the day after you go out and spend $150 on a new incubator, egg turner, and brooder supplies.

5. Mr.Grantly

Mr.Grantly Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Thanks for your help

Grant

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:My sister's flock consists of 8 Isa Brown's for exactly this reason - she didn't want to deal with broody hens. Guess what she got right before Christmas? A broody hen! At first she decided to just wait it out but when the hen turned "psycho", she gave in and got her a couple of chicks. Now the hen is a proud mama, parading them around the coop.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] Not in my case. I bought the incubator, egg turner, eggs, hatched and brooded them and still no broody.

8. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    They go whenever they feel like it. I have two barred rocks that go broody every spring. Its a pain to deal with if you aren't hatching eggs.

9. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    If you want them to be broody at a certain time, put a couple ofwooden or plastic eggs in the nesting box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by