When do hens lay?

Mine don't seem to care when they lay. I had one hen that laid hers about 11am and another hen I saw lay around 4pm. I have a friend that all of his hen lay in the morning and my son's chickens lay in the afternoon. I guess its when ever the mood strikes.

Ours layed sometime before 11:00 am but after 9:00 am.... and the nest box thing ours layed under it in a nest they made from the straw...... Now we put fake eggs in the nest box to see if that will help them lay there..... Heres to waiting and watching

Ours lay eggs starting after 9 AM, but none after 3:30 or so.

Hens may sometimes not use the nestbox right away, because when they start to lay eggs, they don't really know what's happening.

But to get your hens to use the nestbox, put some fake eggs or golf balls in there, and they will start to get the idea.

If your hens are free-range, they may find other places they like more than your nestbox, so maybe keep them penned up the first few weeks they lay so they get used to using the nestbox.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the help
smile.png
smile.png

can hens lay even if their combs/wattles arent bright red?

i *think* mine are about 18 weeks or so old and their combs are pink

thanks

I am new to the laying of eggs since mine started yesterday!!! but it seems that some of my BO girls are very red while others are still pink.....
Only one of mine are laying as of yet and they are 17 weeks 5 days

thanks for the advice i will keep an eye on them!

congrats on the egg - what a thrill for you

cool.png

Back
Top Bottom