1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when do hens start laying eggs 21 weeks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Spitman, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Spitman

Spitman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Just wondering when to start looking forward to my girls laying.??

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    well, it depends upon the variety.

Sex links, Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Production and NH Reds, Orpingtons and Polish all start laying right around 20 weeks.

Marans usually take a few extra weeks

My EEs and Ameraucanas have taken up to 9 months before the first egg appears.

Good luck!

3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    What breed are they ? cochins and silkies take FOREVER like 11 months. fayomis take 16-20 weeks.

4. riomurphy

riomurphy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Intervale, NH
    I was wondering when NH Reds may start laying. I have 3 NHR's and 3 White Leghorns. Both the NH Reds and the Leghorns are 19 weeks. The Leghorns have been laying for about 2 weeks now. I was hoping the Reds would take the hint from the Leghorns, but nothing yet. Anyone have a guess as to when the Reds may start? All the signs have been there for about a week - red comb, yellow feet etc... but nothing yet. Standing by in NH......
    [​IMG] (oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please....)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by