When do hens start laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SCmama, Oct 1, 2011.

1. SCmama

SCmama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    We got our chickies about 2 mos ago, they were 6 weeks old, so are about 14 weeks now. We ended up with a rooster, and have traded him for 2 hens, one I know is laying because I've already gotten 2 eggs from her in 2 days! The other is a Silkie and nothing yet from her. The lady we got the new hens from said they were both about 7 mos old. I've heard so many different answers about what age they start laying that I just don't know what to think!

2. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    It depends on the breed. I would say that 6 months is a good rule of thumb.

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:+2 about 6-8 months. The fayouma ( I think thats how you spell it) Can start laying eggs as little as 4 months!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  4. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    wait. what is fayouma ? never heard of it. I need to google it! LOL

5. SCmama

SCmama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    1 Plymouth Rock, 2 Wynadottes. The one already laying is a Red Star, and then the silkie. By the way, is a silkie egg tiny? Again with my reading...I've read that they're tiny, and I've read that they're small-med. She hasn't laid one yet, but its only been 2 days. Either it just hasn't happened yet, or she's not old enough yet, idk

6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Quote:Hi SCMama,

So, The Silkie is new to you? The first post made it sound like you have had her for two months. If you got her two days ago, then you will need to wait a week or so for her to lay. Moving is stressful and stress disrupts laying.

I don't know the egg size of Silkies, but know people keep them around because they are broodie and good mothers.

The Plymouth Rock and Wyandottes will lay by six months old--probably closer to five months old. Look for red wattles, squatting(like getting ready for a rooster) and playing around with the nest boxes. Also, at 16 to 18 weeks you can start feeding them layer pellets or crumbles.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by