when do hens start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chick-e-chick, Jun 29, 2008.

1. chick-e-chick

chick-e-chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    uk
    I know that at 12 weeks they aren't ready, but do they have to have the 'crest' and the 'floppy hanging under beak bits' fully grown before they lay?

Excuse my lack of terminology knowledge!!!!!!!

2. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    I heard it was from 12- 18 weeks that they start. I use the same hind of terminology but the word thingy gets used alot.

3. kmhfuzzhead

kmhfuzzhead Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    Arizona
    Hi I am completely new at this so I can't wait to hear the answer to your question! Been wondering that myself, I think my girls are about 12 weeks now!! Excited to see them get ready to lay.
    I love this forum it has answered so many questions I have wanted to ask myself!

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    crest = comb

'floppy hanging under beak bits' = wattles

When the girls get close to getting ready to start laying, there combs and wattles will go from being pale colored to a bright red color.

We have Bantams and they began laying at 19 and a half weeks up to 23 weeks old.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

1 person likes this.
  5. chick-e-chick

chick-e-chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    uk
    Thank you Dawn, big help, I knew it was a bit early yet.

6. mipsy6

mipsy6 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Rhode Island Red started laying at 15 weeks. So maybe you don't have too long to wait.

7. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    i had a gold sex link that layed at 16 weeks and that's about as early as you will see.Most will not begin to lay until 18 to 24 weeks old.Depending on the time of year and breed some may take as long as 7 to 8 months to come into lay.For instance if you hatched some chicks right now and they would be at laying age in november but the daylight hours are short then, and they may not start to lay until the following spring unless you have artificial light in the coop.

1 person likes this.
  8. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have 7 buff orp hens in which 2 hens started laying this week. 19 weeks and 5 days. Combs and wattles are bright red. The rest are still light pink. John

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  9. Ga Chicken Mom

Ga Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    My BOs, BRs and RIRs started laying around 24 weeks but didn't start laying regularly for another month. They are 1 yr old now, I consistantly get 6 - 7 eggs a day from 8 hens. Seems like it takes forever for the first egg, but what a thrill. We haven't bought eggs for 6 months now and are really spoiled with our delicious cackleberries.

10. kmhfuzzhead

kmhfuzzhead Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    Arizona
    I keep hearing that the wattles and crowns will turn a bright red when they are ready to lay...approx. how old is that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by