1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do I build a coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fleurdelisky, Apr 13, 2007.

1. fleurdelisky

fleurdelisky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    Hello All! I am new to the board and new to raising chicks. I have two babies, one silver-laced wyandotte and a black australorp. They were straight runs, so I don't know if I have hens or roos and they are about three weeks old and are getting their wing feathers. I have them in a box with pine shavings and a heat lamp, but they are growing out of it! My husband is planning on building a portable coop outdoors with a plan we found on-line, but I want to know when it is safe to move them? I plan on keeping the heat lamp on in the covered coop, but can they go in a run when it is only 50 degrees in the day? Thanks in advance for the advice and I am sure loving owning these two sweeties.[​IMG]

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    at 6wks of age they can go to the coop with no heat at all.unless it gets real cold where you are.once they get 12 to 14 wks old they dont need any heat.

3. fleurdelisky

fleurdelisky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    Thanks! I guess I need to build a bigger box for now. I see from pics that some people use kiddie pools. Is this a good idea?

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    yes kiddie pools work good.just know that the chicks can an will fly out of the pool.

5. teachumusic

teachumusic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2007
    We used a kiddie pool the first time and then had to add cardboard all around it to make it higher.

This year we made our own box that is 24" tall. Keeps our kids (2 1/2 and 1 yr old) out of it. Also keeps the chicks in it.

They are so easy to make with scrap wood. On the sides we used really cheap thin (luann) wood.

6. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    We used a child's pool for a brooder and put 4' high chicken wire fence around it. None of our birds flew out of the brooder the entire 7 weeks they were in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by