when do i change their little chick waterer......

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ticks, May 16, 2008.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    for my gallon waterer (my chicks are 4 weeks and a couple days.)

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    They should be big enough now to use a bigger waterer.

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    will they be fine with the chick waterer for a few more weeks?

4. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

As long as you keep it filled.....

5. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Mine keep the little one til they go into a bigger pen. They can keep the little one as long as you want. You just might have to fill it more often.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They'll be fine with the smaller waterer if you don't mind endlessly cleaning and filling it.
    Recently my chicks (and I) graduated to a 3 gallon waterer and I absolutely adore this thing! No more cleaning and refilling several times a day and the sides of the basin are higher so they don't get it as dirty as they did the little quart ones.

7. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    The wateres that I got are gratefully donated by my loving grandma who thinks she will be nice just so she can get free eggs. [​IMG] the wateres are from my great-grandfathers chickens so they are old. just some old dirt and feathers. and one metal one that my grandpa painted wich has a little rust in it. I think they will work though.

8. I have 5, 5 week old hens, and I see them drink, but I change the water because it gets nasty with shavings and poop. Oh yeah, I never fill it more than half way. What is that about?

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Have you tried putting it on a platform and then also raising it on a couple of bricks or a piece of wood or whatever? The idea is that the platform reduces the am't of shavings right *around* the waterer, and raising it up reduces the am't of whatever's there that gets kicked up into the water. I use an 18" piece of plywood, or a 14" square plastic tabletop that is made like very rigid mesh (hard to describe); either works very well for me. And a pair of paver bricks on that, under the waterer. (Extra bricks for grown chickens).

If they roost on the waterer and poo in it that way, see what you can rig up to discourage it (like a cone or something hanging over the waterer).

Good luck,

Pat

10. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I put Rubbermaid Take-a-long large bowls on top of my feeder and gallon-sized waterer which are also raised. Having the bigger f/w has really helped keep the shavings/poop out and the bowls fit perfectly on top and keeps them from perching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by