When do I clip their wings?!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Justgotchicks12, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Justgotchicks12

Justgotchicks12 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    I have no idea when I should clip my chicks wings. Their two weeks old now,( well three of them are theres one whos three weeks,) and their wings are getting big. What should i do?!!:he

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    If they can't fly out of their run there is no need to clip their wings. Mine at seven weeks cannot fly high enough to get over their 5 foot fence.

3. bigbike4

bigbike4 Out Of The Brooder

My question is -Just how does one clip a birds wing and with what? Does it bleed (I suspect it does since one would be cutting thru flesh and bone)? How does one "close the wound"?

4. Justgotchicks12

Justgotchicks12 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    actually, you're only clipping the very ends. you see a group of longer feathers on your chickens wing? thats all you clip. It dosent hurt at all!

5. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    to clip wings open the wing and clip the first 10 large flight feathers

clip them cleanly dont let them bend or break

as a guide clip them just above the shorter feathers amaking sure you dont clip the short ones and if you do you clipped too short

lastly

clip only one side that way the can only fly in a circle, other wise they will learn how to fly with clipped wings

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  6. RonC

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Yes you are only clipping the ends of the feathers on one wing. Might do a search here on the forums or on the internet. I know I've seen a diagram on how much and where to clip but can't find it now.

7. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    here is a decent video

8. sweetpea409

sweetpea409 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Northern MI
    Do you absolutely have to clip the chicks' wings? I personally would rather not if it's not necessary. I actually didn't know that this was done - if anyone can share more information with me about this, I would appreciate it.

9. RonC

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    No you do not have to clip their wing feathers, it's done only to prevent limit their flying ability.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by