When do I face an "empty nest"?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by homechick, May 1, 2007.

1. homechick

homechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Mineola, Tx
    My coop is done (it needs to be put in place now and the run needs to be built). My "chicks" have been spending the night in the house and the day outside in a wire pen that was used for a rabbit at one time. It's small but lets them peck at the weeds and bugs.
    I said that when they are fully feathered (where I can't see anymore down on top) they would go outside for good. Is this a good rule? Since I am not sure about the ages (they are not exactly the same ages, some have had their feathers for a week or so), I figure that would be a good rule of thumb. Especially since it still gets a tad cold at night.
    They are still so small. Still chirp chirp chirp. I wonder if I can handle them going outside... even if they are in a fort knox coop!
    Let me know how yall decide they are ready to leave the house/garage.

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Ours were 6 1/2 weeks old when they moved outdoors. But if you don't know the ages of your birds, then I think you waiting until they are all feathered is a good plan.

Just make sure when they do move outdoors that they are still in a draft free environment. Think of when you sit in a draft, even if the room is warm, you're chilly. Your birds are the same way and will stay healthier without drafts.

We gave our birds vitamins the week before and week after the move to help handle any stress of new environment.

My experience is that they will adjust better to the move than you will. [​IMG]

Good luck!
    regards,
    keljonma

3. homechick

homechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Mineola, Tx
    Oh. My coop has a wire floor and it's 18 inches off the ground... guess I better put something on the floor until the hot summer gets here. [​IMG]

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I'm not sure..... our birds aren't in pens. Our barn has a dirt floor. Maybe someone who raises birds in pens could help you here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by