When Do I get Eggs :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Connorrm, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    They hatched on April 23rd. I'm not sure if I should be counting the days or weeks? My signature lists what I have [​IMG] I'm just wondering on when to install my nest boxes!

And, I guess I"m a little impatient!

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

my hens were hatched March 9th and one of them laid her first egg today, it was so tiny [​IMG] it seems like I have been waiting forever for this to happen [​IMG] It might be a little early for the nest box but it will also give them time to get use to it (don't for get the fake eggs) [​IMG]

3. abercrombie575

abercrombie575 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2010
    Georgia
    My latest chicks were hatched on Feb. 23 and I got my first egg on the 1st of July. So my guess is you will get some any day! Are they doing the "love squat" when you bend down to touch them? You know hunching down and putting their tail up in the air like they are ready for the rooster... hence the love squat. Also listen for the egg song. When they lay an egg they will brag about it and sing the egg song.

4. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    OMG!! Is that why they do that now? I bent down to pick up one of my comet girls and she flicked her tail up in the air and spread out her wings. I guess I should get started!

5. Honeeluv

Honeeluv Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    I would say you have a couple of more weeks left.

My chickens were hatched the first week of april and they just started laying [​IMG]

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My first 3 hatched March 9th and I'm waiting for my first egg. They are practicing in the nest box with a couple younger pullets, so hopefully someone will give me an egg soon! We are all out of store bought eggs, so it would be nice if I get a couple tomorrow.:p

7. murphysmenagerie

murphysmenagerie New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    Depending on your setup, you may need to follow them around to find their 'secret laying spots'! When I bought mine last year on May 25 (they were 2 days old), they were laying by late August and I had no nesting boxes but they found spots to lay. It was my job to keep up! Even after having nesting boxes built, mine don't always use them but they are pretty much free range 24/7... Good luck and happy hunting:)

8. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    They have a yard/run with some taller flowers and some sumacs for shade. Not sure if they would be able to hide them. But, gonna put in some nests tomorrow with some golfballs just in case [​IMG]

9. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    Quote:That must be what my DW heard the other day! I would have just guessed they were fussing at me for fresh water, or food! [​IMG]

10. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Put in 3 nestboxes today with some PingPong balls in them. Just in case they are ready soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by