When do I give them grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by michiganlarry, May 4, 2009.

1. michiganlarry

michiganlarry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    The older of our two batches of chicks are on medicated chick starter and are growing like weeds. At what age do they require grit?

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    For chicks that are a week or more old, a simple ration can be made of 4 parts, by weight, of cracked corn, 2 parts of broken wheat, 2 parts of oatmeal, and 2 parts of granulated meat scrap. The corn should be broken into small pieces and the meat scrap must be of good quality, rich in protein, and of small size; meat scrap that contains fat is not fit to use in this ration. After the chicks are 6 wk. old, a ration made of cracked corn, whole wheat, hulled oats, and meat scrap can be used. In addition to the grain and meat ration, grit, green food, broken sea shells, or bone meal are necessary for young chicks. All food fed to chicks should be in small particles to avoid disorders in the crop and digestive organs. [NOTE: A Vitamix blender can handle tough grains. Used ones can be found. Don't blend to a flour. Use a commercial starter mix to compare grain size. Blend a few seconds, pour though a seive, re-blend the big pieces, and repeat.]
    http://www.lionsgrip.com/babychix.html

I hope that helps:)

3. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I let my chicks have free choice of grit whenever I give them non-chick starter treats no matter the age. When they were in the brooder, I would mix garden soil (mine is 80% sand) with parakeet grit and regular granite grit. They usually didn't go for the biggest stuff. Since the move to the coop and run, I sprinkle a little grit throughout the run.

4. michiganlarry

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    So they need grit with the chick starter too?

5. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    No, they do not need grit with starter only.

They need grit when they have treats like oats, worms, grass, etc.

6. michiganlarry

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    Oh crap. I gave the older ones a couple handfulls of grass last night. Will they be ok until tonight?

7. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    They'll probably be just fine.

8. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Quote:Why don't you just give them a handful of dirt?? That's where most chickens get their grit. [​IMG]

9. michiganlarry

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    I was wondering about that. I have 22 acres of dirt. Just hate the idea of having to buy some in little bags!!!! [​IMG]

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I bought some, because granite is much better than the river silt and pebbles we have here. I expect one bag to last foreeeeeeever so it's not like it's expensive [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by