1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When Do I give up on them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Goat_Walker, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    So I have some eggs in the bator . When I first started incubating I coulndt get the temp right and for abouta week it was at 90 and 91 degrees.

I have 4 Crested pekin eggs that were due the 15th and 6 runner eggs that were due the 17th and 3 scovie eggs that were due today. Yet I have seen no wobbling and heard no chirping.

So when Do I give up on these guys? i plan on candeling them and then investigaing the insides whenever it is time to give up. How long should I give them?

2. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Temps were 90/91 for a solid week?

Prolly not much chance of getting anything out of this hatch. As for the ones that were due before today, try candling them to see if you have any live ones.

Sorry - best of luck next time! [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

3. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Less than a week - more of 4 -5 days. Im pretty sure they are good though as I have had two go bad a week ago and when I opened them up they had chicks forming inside of them

4. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Hmmm... still not sounding great. Can you grab them now for a quick candle? Not all of them, but at least the ones due on the 15th?

~Cherlyn

5. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    And the ones on the 17th - grab those as well, and give 'em all a good candling.

~Cherlyn

ETA you can do the water test as well - there was a recent thread on here about checking viability in late eggs by putting them in a glass of water.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  6. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    wont opening the bator mess with the humidity? I dont want to mess anyone up.... If I grab them real quick will it work? None of them stink and no one is weeping.

7. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Quote:At this point, the ones that are 5 days late are almost certainly not going to hatch, so you do not have to open up the 'bator on their account. The same might be said for the ones due on the 17th. It is up to you. If you reach in very quickly and leave the 'bator open for less than a few seconds, you should be all right. If you have any external pips, then no, I would not open it, but if not, then I would open it. This is just what I personally would do.

~Cherlyn

8. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    i dont honestly think itll mess it up and sounds to me you need a new incubator or something and i open mine every other 3 days to candel and see developement and mine are still good if theres little ducks in there moving then leave them be in the incubator but if u dont see ANY movement put them back in incubator and check back in a few minutes and if there still not moving i say its time to toss! if the chick/duckling is alive it will have some sort of heartbeat/breathing movement!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by