When do I give up?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by robinaggie, Jul 18, 2008.

1. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Two of the three disabled Spitzhaubens I hatched are getting around better, eating, and growing. The third is not doing so well. I took its booties and brace off this morning, and it just sat there. I fed it uncooked egg yolk (yell at me later about the salmonella risk), and much to my shock it's hobbling around on its own! I put it in the brooder with the other chicks, and its trying to eat crumble.

This little chick has struggled so hard to live. When do I stop feeding it with a dropper, propping it up, and trying to help it? I seriously don't think it will survive and be normal, but I want to give it every chance. Please advise.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Have you tried baby bird handfeeding formula? I had VERY VERY good success using it. It's a powder, you can get it any pet store that sells bird supplies. You mix with warm water. I began using it with a syringe, then, when the chick got stronger after a few days, I made it thicker & fed the little chick in my lap with a spoon; just holding it out in front, and he slurped it right down. another few days, and I mixed it with some cooked oatmeal and yogurt, and then a few days after that, he was eating the chick starter. GOOD LUCK! I've always wanted a few Spitzhaubens - BEAUTIFUL birds! [​IMG]

3. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    No, I haven't, but I will. Thank you. [​IMG]

4. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Please keep me posted; I'll be curious to see how it does on the formula. The sidebar to this is that when you have one that's not thriving like this, and you spend so much time with it in your lap doing the handfeeding, you end up with a super friendly chicken that's not afriad of humans! At least that was so in my case. At any rate, please do keep me posted, okay? And - GOOD LUCK! [​IMG]

5. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I don't have an answer for You, but i just want to encourage you in helping this sweet baby. If he has such a will to live there is a reason. I wish You all the best in whatever You decide. [​IMG]

6. comerrick

comerrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    I guess the best answer for that question is, when they give up. I had a blind chick. I did start to hand feed her, but she died. So keep trying.
    Lov
    Liv

7. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I got the special baby bird formula, and the chick loves it! I didn't want to overfeed it, so I gave one dropper, and I'll give another in about fifteen minutes. [​IMG] Then I'll make a paste and see if it will eat on its own.

Thank you all for answering. I'll post pictures if I can, so you can see the little chick you're helping. It walks in reverse. [​IMG]

8. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Oh, I'm so happy to hear this! That's gotta make you feel better!! Keep up the good work, yes, please do post a picture!! [​IMG]

9. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    It does make me feel better! Here's a not-so-good picture of Albert/a Spitzhauben.
    [​IMG]

10. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Awe, shoot - can't see him; too blurry. But, good to see he's able to stand up nice & tall!

Keep us posted on his progress, okay? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by