When do I help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by harris farm, Sep 22, 2010.

1. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    I have one egg left that needs help I think. It pipped about 30 hrs ago, now it has a hole that I can see the chick moving around but it will not zip. Should I help it out of the shell?

2. midwestchickenwrangler

midwestchickenwrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    I would try to help it out, carefully. I just hatched 5 this last weekend and i had to help one chick out of the shell. Mine was a bit different in that the chick had already gotten most of the shell off, it was just stuck in the membrane and had started to dry out. After about 24 hours of no progressing, I carefully pulled the membrane off in pieces until the chick was out. Since it was not strong enough to hatch on its own, we had to baby it for a couple days feeding it sugar water in a spoon until it got enough energy to move around on its own. Now I can't tell which one was the runt. [​IMG] I hope this helps.

3. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    I helped it out the shell and i found it not ready to come out . There was a little blood around the sac so i wet some paper towels with hot water an wrapped the chick up for now. The chick has a lot of energy and is loud with the cherpping. The other chick that hatched yesterday is very weak and still having trouble standing so maybe it needs some sugar water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by