when do I lock down again?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by misskeeter, Feb 21, 2013.

1. misskeeter

misskeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Wichita Falls, TX
    I set eggs on Feb 4th at noon...

I thought I was supposed to lock down Sat at noon.

I was informed today that the church is doing a retreat in our building, and we are not allowed in there at all until after 5:00...

so it's either lock down late Friday night, or after 5 on Sat... thoughts?

I've had them in an automatic egg turner, and it keeps going a little hot overnight no matter what I do. It's perfect all day, then I come in the next morning and it's up to 101.

2. misskeeter

May 15, 2012
    Wichita Falls, TX
    oh.. I'm a teacher, and we are hatching in the classroom. I teach at a Catholic school, so when the church needs to use our building, they get it...

I'm also worried about Sunday school kids being in my room Sunday morning. Last year I taped the incubator shut and put a huge sign over it saying DON'T TOUCH FOR ANY REASON! and caution tape around it ...

3. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Lockdown on Friday will be fine

the 101 temp. won't hurt them, the only thing it MIGHT do id have them hatch a bit early

Quote: I think that would be a GREAT idea. There is a chance that some of them might be pipped & kids being kids will have a hart time
    keeping their hand off of it[​IMG]

4. misskeeter

May 15, 2012
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Okay... so I got special permission to enter the building any time that they are not using my room. Luckily, the woman planning the whole retreat is a parent of one of my students, and she wants the hatch to be as successful as possible. My classroom will now only be used for Confession, and that will only take about an hour and a half tomorrow night.

I "roped off" the area all around the incubator with red ribbon and chairs, and I put a big sign up that says, "DO NOT TOUCH THE INCUBATOR FOR ANY REASON" ... :) That should do it.

I bought some little baskets to put the eggs in when I lock down tomorrow. I lined the baskets with paper towels, and it seems that 4 eggs will fit with some wiggle room in each basket. I'm hoping this will help to keep the eggs from getting knocked around too much by the chicks that have already hatched... is that a good or bad idea?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by