When do I move broody hen and eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amcconnell, May 10, 2009.

1. amcconnell

amcconnell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    I have a broody hen with 8 eggs....they are due to hatch on May 19th. She is currently in a nesting box in the henhouse with the other hens. I have a brooder box in a separate place for her and the chicks when they come. Do I need to go ahead and move her now or wait until a day or so before they hatch??? I'm afraid if I move her now she won't know they are her eggs and confuse her. This is my first time hatching eggs so I'm not sure how to go about this part. Please....any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks

2. Mrs. Glassman

Mrs. Glassman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Cedartown, Georgia
    I'm far from being an expert, but I moved mine the day they began hatching. I figured that if it confused her, they were already on the way out anyway.
    It didn't though, she went straight to the eggs and sat right down!

3. wildwitchy

wildwitchy Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Hello, I've got 2 broodys on eggs atm. They were stopping the other hens from going in the box so I had to move them. [​IMG] The eggs are due to hatch on the 17/18 may. I was quite a bit concerned but I had to do it.

After some sqwarking from the broodies in their new house they did settle down and sat on the eggs again. Margo did try twice to escape & get back on the old nest so I just put a cover over the run (she seemed determined to get back to the old nest rather than the eggs?). One of the eggs was broken this morning & it did have signs of life (blood & gunk) in it but I think it was one I was unsure of when I 'd checked it (bit smelly). I've got 5 eggs now that look ok. It was a nail biting moment [​IMG] I must admit & when I do more eggs next time with her I will move them straight away to the broody shed & not leave it till this late. Then when the chicks hatch, they will be with their mommy hen & auntie hen away from the others.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  4. amcconnell

amcconnell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    thanks for the input....since I've only got a little over a week to go I think I'll wait till they start hatching also.

Good luck to your little hatchlings!!!! Keep us posted on how they do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by