When do I move the banty's to the coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Zahboo, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    It's not finished yet. I am building a banty tractor. I'm not sure how old they are she told me 2 weeks old. I am doubting it. I need to know how old they are (check the avatar or my coop page first pic) When do bantams have what they need to stand outside? It's been ranging from 30-50 degrees here and sometimes hot at day cold at night.

2. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    The chicks in that picture are way to young to be outside. Don't put them out until they have grown all their adult feathers. If it were hot, it would be ok to put them out a little earlier but it is way too cold now. I would not take any chance on them freezing to death. The chick in that picture only looks about 1-1 1/2 weeks. My bantams are three weeks and no where near ready to go outside.

3. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    A chick that old won't last a night in that temperature.

4. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Your chicks are way too young to make in those temperatures.

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I know they are too young. I am thinking they are only 1 week old. I was wanting to know when they could go out. I was thinking 8 weeks.

6. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Ahhh, I misunderstood. I don't know I have my first bantams in the brooder now and they are three weeks and soooo tiny. I don't want them to get pecked to death by the big girls. So I am going to wait until they are at least big enough to defended themselves. It seems also that a bantam, even with all their feathers, would freeze in this weather just because they are so tiny. If you set up a safe place with a few good heat lamps, I think it would be ok at eight weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by