When do I move them outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MattalynsBarn, Jun 18, 2010.

1. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Songster

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    I'm confused. I just read that you can put your chicks in the outside coop at 4-5 weeks. My friend (who has had many generations of chickens) says wait until they have all their feathers, so around 2 months... What do I do? [​IMG]

2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    It depends on the weather where you live. I'm in south Texas and its hot here usually starting in May. I put mine out a 9 days old when night temps were in the high 70's and day temps in the mid 90's. As long as they have a secure coop and you can keep the temp. right either with a heat lamp or nature, they should be OK.

3. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Songster

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    Ours will be 4 weeks old next week. They're getting so big and active that they're going start overnighting in the upstairs portion of the coop/run, with supervised playtime downstairs during the day. Here in central Fla. it's in the upper 90's all day and 80's overnight. The temperature is still very important, as their face, neck, and chest is still covered with down. As long as you make sure they're warm and draft-free at night they should be fine in a secured coop outside.

4. lakeman

lakeman In the Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Abbevill SC
    Mama nature, that knows much more than any of us puts them outside at day one, regardless of the weather. I cannot understand where all these "SUPOSEDLY" expert rules come from.

5. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Songster

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    We live on the shoreline of Connecticut. We're getting 10 hens so hopefully they're be able to stay inside long enough so the summer can become stable

6. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Songster

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    Quote:Yes, but when there's no mama hen to protect them we must take over that responsibility.

7. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Songster

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Quote:I agree. Mama knows best if you don't factor in the humans, and no Mama hen.

8. lakeman

lakeman In the Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Abbevill SC
    True, but if you protct them from predators, they will take care of themselves, they are not helpless sparrows, or birds confined to a nest, they hatch today, you put them out tomorrow, and they will be scratching in the dirt, and finding food. The only problem you will have, is getting away from them, if you are the first warm body they find, they will think you are their mommy.

9. LadyBeartoothMamma

LadyBeartoothMamma Chirping

May 31, 2010
    Absarokee Montana
    mine just turned a month old and i let them out cause they were getting to big for the brooder. And I live here in Absarokee Montana its been cold here but they seem to be doing pretty good course they are by the side of the house so that helps too...

10. Kevin Boyington

Kevin Boyington Hatching

May 10, 2010
    Our 10 chicks are a month old and we put them in the coop today and it is there first night. It was 90 today and 60's at night here in NH. The chicks are making alot of noise, but I think they just need to get used to it. We did put the heat lamp in there in case they get a chill, during the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by