When do I need a vet?

ElleMc

Songster
Apr 17, 2017
Southaven, MS
Okay - so this topic has been covered ad nauseum but I'm going to post again anyway. I have two female Pekins. They stay at night in a pen with wood decking with a Dogloo for shelter. I use a polar fleece blanket for bedding. They have two litter boxes with water, one is large enough to sit in. The blanket gets changed every day, deck hosed down, water changed. They free range in my fenced grass backyard (about an acre) daily and are fed at night a mix of layer pellets, dried mealworms, and diatomaceous earth. We do not use pesticides or herbicides in the yard. About 3 days ago Bill (yes, she's a female named Bill) started limping. I've ruled out botulism entirely due to the fact that it's been three days and she shows no other symptoms. Her poop looks pretty much like it always does - basically, it looks like watered down duck food. I don't think it's diarrhea. There is no blood in her feces, her eyes look clear, she has no issue with a drooping neck. I have not checked her vent. Egg laying is normal and I haven't noticed any blood in the pen or on her blanket. I've checked her legs three days in a row, neither look swollen and when I palpate them, she does not flinch or seem in pain. Both legs feel about the same temperature. I can stretch it and move it without a problem. I also checked for bumble foot and she doesn't have any sores on the bottom of her feet - or anywhere on her leg. She can use her leg, but she limps heavily and holds it to one side when standing. She is a very heavy duck, and I think she may have had a bit of a niacin deficiency as a baby despite my use of Brewer's yeast as her legs bow slightly. I am letting my ducks out, but for a shorter amount of time as I don't really want her walking too much. My question is, when do I take her to the vet? I recently lost my job so money is tight. If she needs a vet, I'll take her, but if I can help her at home? Thoughts? Any help would be appreciated.

Are you still giving Brewers Yeast? If not, I would add that back, even if not currently deficient it would help support healing of a sprain or strain.....which it sounds like it could be. Some warm Epsom Salt soaks daily wouldn't hurt anything. Just make sure she doesn't drink it.

Thanks! Will do on the Brewer's Yeast. I'll try the soak. I don't want to stress her out too much though. Hopefully, she'll sit quietly instead of struggling!

I don't think she's overweight, she's just a big duck. Her legs are much thicker than Webster's and she's about 1/3 bigger. We thought she might be a male until she started laying. The DE is for several reasons. It helps with parasites, keeps intestinal health, and has silica which is good for their bones and joints as well as heart health. Plus, it keeps the flies out of their food.

Are her knees hot? You can feel them and compare it to her feet or bill. (Since the rest of her is feathered) I have a duck who suffers from a niacin deficiency and it's been an on and off thing. So I started 30 days of complex Vitamin B injections. After a week now she's starting to get out with the other ducks. **Happy Dance**

I think you can only supplement orally just so much. At least with injectable you know what exactly is going in.

I wish you the best of luck. It's a tough thing to fix. I've heard it's 50/50 if you catch the symptoms early and get treatment started immediately.

Back
Top Bottom