When do I offer water to a nursing goat kid?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Ana Robin, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Ana Robin

Ana Robin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2014
    I was just curious as to wen the baby needs water in addition to milk. I've heard horror stories about kids drowning in water buckets.

Advice is appreciated!

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I don't remember exactly when I started offering water to nursing kids but it was fairly early especially if the weather was hot. Never had one drown in a water bucket, but I used small buckets, like about a gallon size or so.

3. WallabyOfChaos

WallabyOfChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Texas Panhandle
    My Coop
    Our lambs and kid goats have free access to fresh water when they are about 3 days old. If they can see over into the bucket/trough then they are not likely to jump in. We use small rubber feed pans to water small babies, so even if one is accidentally pushed in they can hop right back out.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have always followed up my goats milk bottle with some water, about 2-4 ounces, I increase the amount as they get older, when weaning time comes I lower the milk and up the water, otherwise I don't offer a water bucket until they are a couple weeks old.

5. Ana Robin

Ana Robin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2014
    Thanks, everyone. So, the consensus is water early. Okay, got it! I put a dog dish of water in (sort of small) in with mama and baby.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I guess I read it wrong, you have a momma goat, for the first week I would water the mom a few times a day, after that the kids can get out of any buckets they might hop into.

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Water offered early is definitely a good thing. I do caution against putting water in a bottle though. This has been known to cause hemolysis of blood cells due to water intoxication.

1 person likes this.
  8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    And it makes their bellys make a slogging noise. I've done it for every kid I've raised, I don't allow them to drink everything but I've never had troubles either. Seems I do a lot of things considered wrong by people, but I come from a farming background and apparently things are done differently around here. Everything I ever raised not only survives but thrives.

9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ

I'm sure many people do it but there is still a risk associated and I think people should be aware that it could be a potential (sometimes deadly) problem.

10. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    A lot of people offer a bottle of warm water to their kids after their milk. My vet told me not to do that because it interferes somewhat with the digestion of the milk. For the same reason I was told not to give milk and electrolytes at the same time.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by