when do i pull my eggs from the rotator .

PDH

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2018
i started my eggs on the 4-5-6 so do i assume 18 days from the first day or let it go past day 18 ? today would be the 18 th day for the eggs on the 4 th . or do i just pull all of them and set them all on the wire and turn by hand till they hatch ?

i started my eggs on the 4-5-6 so do i assume 18 days from the first day or let it go past day 18 ? today would be the 18 th day for the eggs on the 4 th . or do i just pull all of them and set them all on the wire and turn by hand till they hatch ?
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Looks like you might have gotten started with some bad information. :hmm But we can help! :wee

Ok so to start off with I will say in the future you should set all your eggs on the same day... as a staggered hatch is very undesirable. In nature, either the early or the late hatchers will likely die. That is why a hen lays a clutch before she starts setting so they can develop at the same rate.

Now to answer your question... It is safe to stop turning your eggs AFTER day 15. No more turning should take place after day 18. Though on occasion I have gone in to "lock down" as late as day 19 or 20... without issue. Though I don't suggest it in general.

How are your air cells looking? Where have you had your temp and humidity during this time? What color are your eggs? Forced or still air incubator? How many eggs?

So I personally would wait until tomorrow, mark all the air cells, and remove the turner, raise humidity as close to 65% as possible, and not open my lid until day 22 from the first setting, or not sooner than 24 hours after the first fully hatched chick. Being careful, maybe wrap extra stuff around the bator to hold the moisture in while you quickly remove any fluffers... rapid change in humidity and temp can shrink wrap other chicks that have already externally pipped but not yet hatched.

A couple peeps with excellent hatching experience who may have even better suggestions... @Pyxis @WVduckchick, I always appreciate you time and input. :highfive:

Happy hatching! :fl:jumpy:jumpy

Ok, first, today is only day 17 for the eggs set on the 4th. The day set does not count. 24 hours after setting starts day 1. Very common mistake, so don't think you are alone! :D

I agree with EggSighted. Staggered hatches aren't ideal, but you've just got 3 days span, so not too bad.
I personally would crank up the humidity on Sunday for all of them. As EggSighted mentioned, you can stop turning now. The early days are more important than the latter days, as far as turning. Whenever you do decide to stop turning them, candle them, and place the lowest dipped side of the egg facing upward. Egg laying down on its side, but the biggest part of the air cell should be up.

We are here to help, so I'll be anxious to see your responses to the questions from the prior post.

Hatching is such fun. I really hope you have a great hatch. But be warned, it can be very addicting! :lol:

Good luck!

And :welcome

Back
Top Bottom