1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when do i put babies in with elder chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by americana-chick, Jul 10, 2008.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    i am confused [​IMG] and when will the elders stop chasing them around every time they get around each other? thanks!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Younger chickens should be at least 16 weeks old or nearly the same size of the older chickens before introducing them to mature chickens. They need to be old enough to fight back when the pecking order squabbles and fights begin. They also need to be old enough that they can't be easily bullied and starved out by the older chickens.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Yeah...they should be fully feathered and pretty much full grown. I learned that the hard way a few years back...I put in some 6 week olds with some 12 week olds and the older birds killed all but ONE of the younger ones. [​IMG]

4. jpajcoll

jpajcoll Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    Georgia
    yes the chicks should be almost fully grown. I had the same thing to happen when i put a 3wk old bantam in with the 7wk old black sex links...[​IMG]

5. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    thanks!

6. jenjen

jenjen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Oregon House, Ca.
    I have 7 chickens about 10 weeks old. Is it ok to put a mama hen and her 4 little chicks in with them??? The new chicks are about 2 weeks old. Will she protect them? Or do they not have a chance?

7. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Quote:You could try it and see what happens. Seems mama would protect them. It always depends on the chicken personalities the most. There's almost always some pecking, and little ones make really loud chirps when they get pecked, sounds awful, but sometimes its not as bad as they make it seem.

8. my first peepers

my first peepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    Okay, same question but different. [​IMG] Mine are now six weeks and I will be getting a few more from a friend that are 4 weeks younger...when can they be together? Are they close enough that when the young ones are about 6-8 weeks they can join in? How do you introduce them?
    Thank you!

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You need to seriously consider biosecurity of your currect flock before adding more birds. Gumpsgirl has been in a world of hurt and nearly lost her flock from 1 new chick brought in and mixed with her current chickens.

Please read this thread -

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=70782

10. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    We just started on a new batch of chicks to raise, and for us it worked to put them in with the hens at about 5 months. There will still be a little bit of chasing and pecking, but no one will really be hurting your chicks. Once the pecking order is established, and the chicks are big enough to know how to run away from the chickens if they seem threatening, none of your chickens should be getting hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by