When do I put out the water and feeder?

Flutterbee

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 11, 2014
Virginia
So today my hen, Edna's, eggs have decided to start hatching. There is one chick so far, I saw its little butt poking out as Edna readjusted herself on the nest. I have a chick feeder and chick waterer but when do I put them out?

Last edited:
I think you can put out the waterer and feeder any time you want. The mother hen will get off the nest once she thinks the eggs are done hatching, and will hopefully lead the chicks to the feed/water. Keep in mind, though, that chicks don't need to eat for 1-3 days after hatching, and may not be interested in the feeder/waterer for that amount of time.

I think you can put out the waterer and feeder any time you want. The mother hen will get off the nest once she thinks the eggs are done hatching, and will hopefully lead the chicks to the feed/water. Keep in mind, though, that chicks don't need to eat for 1-3 days after hatching, and may not be interested in the feeder/waterer for that amount of time.
Thank you so much! Now, I've had chicks before and until now, after reading posts on this site I didn't realize chicks could drown in their waterers. If I put it away from the nest, do you think it will be fine? Especially if it's a waterer made for chicks?

Thank you so much! Now, I've had chicks before and until now, after reading posts on this site I didn't realize chicks could drown in their waterers. If I put it away from the nest, do you think it will be fine? Especially if it's a waterer made for chicks?
Could you post a photo of the waterer? Some chick waterers are specially designed to prevent chicks from drowning, while others are not. I personally prefer the non-specialized waterers, since they seem easier for the chicks to drink from than the drowning prevention ones. To prevent any drowning problems, you can put small stones (like used for fish bowls) or marbles in the base of the waterer.

Could you post a photo of the waterer? Some chick waterers are specially designed to prevent chicks from drowning, while others are not. I personally prefer the non-specialized waterers, since they seem easier for the chicks to drink from than the drowning prevention ones. To prevent any drowning problems, you can put small stones (like used for fish bowls) or marbles in the base of the waterer.
Here you are: https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net...565_730459717015573_7346815252751060503_n.jpg It won't let me upload it.

It looks like a normal waterer, not the non-drownable kind. As I mentioned above, I would put some gravel/small clean stones or marbles into the base of the waterer to make sure none of the chicks accidentally get submerged in it.

Good luck with your new chicks! I've always wanted to have a broody hen hatch some eggs, but haven't been able to do so yet.

Back
Top Bottom