1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when do I release my ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ozark hen, May 27, 2007.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Hi all, my dh and I went to the poultry swap meet yesterday "to look around". I came home with a pair of Indian Runners that are almost a year old. I put them in a dog pen for the time being. My question: How long do I keep them in the pen before releasing them with the small flock of chickens I have free-ranging around our yard? Is it the same as for chickens?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh I just LOVE that bowling pin body!! Yup, you want to keep them penned up for at least a week, maybe 2 weeks. Untill they are comfortable with you, and they know where the feed is coming from.
    Last fall, DH and I rescued 6 Muscovys. We kept them in a pen for 2 weeks.....let them out to free roam...they walked out...looked around, and TOOK FLIGHT! We just stood there looking at them flying away...and said....well, they were free. LOL
    They did come home later that evening, and are still around. Crazy birds! Scared me! I thought they were gonners! LOL

3. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    thank you Deb. I am concerned for these two as they don't seem to be eating at all. I added some dog food just in case that would entice them. When I approach them they start shivering and that really bothers me. I threw some grass clippings with them but they never touched them. My DH tells me they are just scared from the newness of it all and I hope he is right. We need a smiley face that wrings it's hands. ha

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I am sure DH is right. They are just scared. Make sure they have water....plenty of it. Mine LOVE cracked corn. Maybe offer some to them. It will take a few days for them to get over the newness. I am sure they will be fine. Good luck with them, they are beautifull!!

5. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope they settle in for you very soon, try some chopped tomato, its colourful and tasty!!!

6. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    you might also try just sitting by the pen. not staring at them or anything just sitting there and talking about nothing. that way they will become more adjusted to you. Crystal

7. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    thanks for the suggestion. I am down with a bug of some sort, off and on fever right now. But I certainly will try that. I go to the pen often to collect eggs and pet the brooding hen and always talk to them now but they still hide. [​IMG] I have been leaving the pen door open for the convenience of the hens and they are staying in there. They have started coming out of their hidey hole and eating and bathing in the water tub and ignoring the pool I put outside the pen gate. I am sure they will do better since I have finally seen some improvement. I just think these Indian Runners are beautiful. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by