When Do I remove the vent plug??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by janramsey, May 13, 2007.

1. janramsey

janramsey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2007
    Vilonia, Arkansas
    Hello all.....I am setting up my just aquired little giant with fan. The directions say to remove the red vent plug...But doesnt tell me WHEN!!! LOL......

I lucked into this incubator that came with fan and turner. I found it at a flea market yesterday...I got the whole set up for $20 so we will see how it goes!!!

I hope to set a dozen eggs I also got yesterday...but want to make sure my bator is all ready to go!!

2. hooked2

hooked2 New Egg

May 7, 2007
    I just had that same problem. I posted it here and a couple of people wrote back. I had the plugs in for the first 16 days which I now believe was the wrong way of doing it. I took them out on day 16 when I realized the directions said to take them out in the beginning set up. After getting advice here, I put my plugs in on day 17, but that caused the humidity to go really high. The glass windows were totally covered with condensation and I was afraid that the drips on the egg would drown the chicks, so I panicked and took one plug back out. That made it so there was condensation just on the edges of the glass. Definitely take the advice of everyone else and buy a hygrometer if you don't have one. That will help you to know if the plugs should be in or out. I picked up one at WalMart for $7 yesterday and put it in just in time for the second half of our hatch. It was really helpful and I took the plugs in and out to control the humidity. The chicks easily tumbled away from the shells, so I think the humidity was good. Despite all that I did wrong and all of my worrying, we have had an excellent hatch. So far out of 44 eggs, 40 have hatched. They are so cute!!!

3. janramsey

janramsey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2007
    Vilonia, Arkansas
    Thanks for your advice........I have it out..I only have one cus the other hole has a fan part in it......I have 12 eggs in it now.......I sure hope I have at least half the hatch luck you did WTG!!!!

My hubby keeps saying quit worring......momma chickens dont have all that fancy stuff.....and neither did your granny.......but that doesnt help.....LOL

I have one of the thermometer/hydrometer things from walmart.....LOVE IT.....

OMG this 21 days thing is gonna be worse then waiting on my Ideal order......which is due in 11 days.......LOL

Thank you again...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by