When do i start candling the eggs and when will i see results?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by XilverAngel, Aug 16, 2011.

1. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    I'm extremely eager and impatient right now...agh! i just want to see something! but i just put them under our hen maybe 2 or 3 days ago so i doubt there's anything. When should i start candling and when should i see something?? Also, what kind of light do you all use for candling? I have a flashlight but i dont think it is bright enough....it's hard to see anything, and with it i can't even see the yolk. Any advice? Thanks!!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. cornfed80

cornfed80 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    poynor tx
    seven days is best and youll see a dot and some red viens

3. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    alright, thanks! [​IMG]

4. Mrsmouse

Mrsmouse Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    I made a candler from a lightbulb inside a cardboard tissue box with a finger size hole. At ten days it was absolutely amazing. Chicks bouncing and flexing, veins clear too.
    Just remember to do it in the dark. Good luck.

5. calum678

calum678 New Egg

Aug 15, 2011
    when using a broody hen youshould leave her, she has natural instinct and will kick out any unfertile eggs, only need to candle when using an incubator

6. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:Wow really, my broody's egg fell and cracked, I desided to leave it under her and put wax on it the next morning. And she had kicked it out and killed it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by