when do i start candling?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newbee chick01, Dec 23, 2011.

1. newbee chick01

newbee chick01 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    hi,, was wondering if and one knows when i should start to see some changes with candling??? i`ve got a variety of chicken eggs and i`m on day 2,,,is this too early?? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The day you put the eggs into the incubator counts as day 0. Day 2 to entirely too early. You will see clear changes by day 7. You can use an egg from the refrigerator to use as a reference. If you candle one of your incubated eggs and aren't sure, compare it to the fridge egg. Also...
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876

3. newbee chick01

Dec 14, 2011
    thank you [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    I know it is difficult to have patience, but the less you handle the eggs the better. Day 7 is early enough

5. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    I candled on Day 7 and separated the eggs I thought were duds (just put it on separate side of incubator). I candled again on Day 10 and found an egg that was totally viable, I just couldn't see it on Day 7. So... just know it can be hard to see. Definitely don't toss eggs until you are 100% sure!! And after Day 10.

6. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

If the eggs are light in color, and you really know what you're doing, you can often see something at three days. I have candled so many eggs, I can often make a guess, and I am pretty consistently correct. Especially with serama eggs, since they are so light and small. But if I was doing it as a beginner, I probably would be very lost.

BUT, even though I can be pretty sure whether I see something at day three, I DO NOT throw any eggs out until much later, even if I see nothing at all. I'd say around day 10 I get ready to toss.

7. newbee chick01

Dec 14, 2011
    thanks every1.this is my 1st time incubating.i bought the eggs 21/12 i was to they were layed on the 20th/12.i left them 2 settle till 4pm on the 22/12.my temp is avaraged at 100-102.my question is when should i check for feralization?? I have rhode island eggs,lemon pekins,silkies and crested polish eggs :)

8. newbee chick01

Dec 14, 2011
    thanks every1.this is my 1st time incubating.i bought the eggs 21/12 i was to they were layed on the 20th/12.i left them 2 settle till 4pm on the 22/12.my temp is avaraged at 100-102.my question is when should i check for feralization?? I have rhode island eggs,lemon pekins,silkies and crested polish eggs :)

9. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    I had an oops and mine sat for at the most 6 hours at 120 degrees. Didn't toss them. that ws day 7. candled, nothing, decided to leave them a bit longer. candled this morning (day 10)and all 4 are looking good to go with nice air cells and dark spots

10. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd say 102 is a tad warm IF it's a forced air incubator. Mine is forced air and I do my best to keep it right at 99.5 to 100. Is your incubator forced or still air?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by