When do I start Deworming?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jayecookie, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Jayecookie

Jayecookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2017
    Cooper City, Florida
    I have 8 barred rocks chicks, 4 are 7 weeks old and the other 4 are 6 weeks old. when do i need to start the deworming process and have often do i need to do it?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I never worm my chickens. You should get a fecal done before doing it. The routine use of wormers will make it so you have nothing but wormer resistant worms. Don't do it unless it's necessary. Animals have evolved to carry a reasonable worm load. Worm free animals isn't a normal state. That's my opinion on the subject. :)

3. Josh0625

Josh0625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2017
    Agree 100%

4. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Little doggies in tow Premium Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    I haven't had the need so I don't.

imnukensc and Jayecookie like this.
  5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I've been keeping birds this time around for about 5 years. Never wormed a bird, never seen signs of worms, even when doing a gut disection during processing. Don't medicate an animal unless you know what you are medicating for.

6. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    I agree, get a fecal float test done to determine whether worming is necessary or not, and for what particular parasite. Some vets will do it without seeing the bird, many will not, you will have to call around and ask. There are also mail in tests you can use. I am on the other end of the spectrum for worming. My birds are wormed regularly because I HAVE to or I have sick birds. I wish I didn't have to, but I do. Every environment is different, the parasite load is different, and you need to do what works for you and your flock. I would suggest getting the test done, and if they are clear, test again in 6 months and see if they are still clear. And know what to look for symptom-wise in the event you do have a bird end up with a parasite infection in the future. It's never a good idea to treat blindly for anything if it can be avoided.

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by