When do I start giving them granite?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Alaska animal lover, May 7, 2008.

1. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    My chicks were born on 4/28, I got them 5/5 should they have granite in the brooder? Help!
    Thanks in advance:)

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Ok, you lost me. Granite must be a term used up there for something else down here.

Grit?? They don't need grit until they are eating food other than their feed. That shouldn't be until they are around a month old.

Oyster shell??? They don't need oyster shell until they are laying eggs.

If it's something else ... sorry, someone else will have to step in here ... I may just be a ditzy blond.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    No , you're right.... the "grit" they sell at some places is crushed granite.

4. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    [​IMG] I'm sorry. I have a book that says....
    "Fill a second hopper with granite grit, which chickens need because they have no teeth."
    "Granite grit is sometimes called insoluble grit, meaning it wears down over time rather than dissolving." "Calcium supplements are sometimes called soluble grit" etc, etc.

So anyhow, I'm just wondering when to start giving them grit.
    Also is millet an okay treat? Should thay only be eating the starter right now?

Can you tell I'm a newbie? LOL.

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Here's what I have heard.....

They only need grit if they are eating something other than chick starter/crumbles. Otherwise this contains all that they need.

They don't need anything extra.

However, I have been giving my chicks treats since they were a few weeks old. I give them millet sprays like once a week and a pinch of alfalfa as a treat every day or so. They also freak out over little meat scraps, worms and noodles.... given sparingly. To each his own [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by