WHEn do I stop thwe starter feed

I feed starter till there about 5-6 weeks old then they go to a grower till they lay there first egg then they go on a layer/breeder

Chris

Since mine are aboutr 6 weeks, chicks, maybe I will finish this bag of starter feed out, then after that buy some feed, before the layer feed. I would like to get them little by little used to the big coop with the hens, in about 2 or 3 weeks, what doyou think?

Quote:
What's the difference between starter and grower feed?

Starter high protein can be medicated lower in fiber (starter is good to get the up and going)
Grower lower protien not medicated high fiber (Grower is for promoting growth...

The starter I use is a medicated 28% protien 3.50 fat 4.00 fiber and a crumble
The grower is 20% protien 3.50 fat 4.50 fiber and is a crumble
Chris

Last edited:
Thanks Chris. My birds are 11 weeks and I'm still feeding them starter feed. I'll check the local feed store to see if they carry the grower.

Quote:
What's the difference between starter and grower feed?

Starter high protein can be medicated lower in fiber (starter is good to get the up and going)
Grower lower protien not medicated high fiber (Grower is for promoting growth...

The starter I use is a medicated 28% protien 3.50 fat 4.00 fiber and a crumble
The grower is 20% protien 3.50 fat 4.50 fiber and is a crumble
Chris

Chris what brand are you using? Wish I could find those numbers here. Most grower around here is 16% which is not enough protien for the larger duel purpose breeds.

cybercat:
Well I been useing buckeye but I am going to start using kalmbach feeds the pro.% is close to buckeye... I tryed it on a batch of around 25 chicks and I like what I see and the price is a little cheaper..I know the starter is a "turkey" starter but the meds. are the same as the chick starter and it is the high protein that I like...

For the starter I will use this (28%- 3% - 4%)

http://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/451450AB.html

Then for the grower I will use this (21% - 3% - 4%)

http://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/1044.html

Then for a layer/breeder is this (20% - 3% - 5%)

http://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/1020CR.html

Here is a little trick for you...
wink.png

Use a 16% protein all grain pigeon feed with corn in it for a "scratch grain"..

What brand feed are you useing now?
Chris

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. We have nothing I know of right now close to that but still have more checking to do. I have 6 feed stors local one being a co-op and one TSC. Right now my chicks are on Burkmann feeds which seems to be good but I want to put them on a 20% grower when it is time and that is harder to find here. I will probably just switch them to TSC Dunmor forumula which is that with out meds.

When I was first checking it was chick season and most places were sold out when I was looking. I should have better luck now that things have calmed down a bit
smile.png
We will be free ranging so feed will be for winter mostly.

Back
Top Bottom