When do I stop turning and lock down eggs? Day 30 and I'm lost.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by K4zn4v3, Oct 1, 2011.

1. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Right now my muscovy eggs are on day 30 and the duckling are going crazy squirming around. They have not broken into the air cell yet but they are pushing against the membraine. Since these eggs are only on day 30 is it a possiblity that they are going to hatch a couple days early. How long after internally pipping will they externally pip? When do I stop turing the eggs and go into lock down. Do i need to change the temperature or humidity at any point from now untill hatch. This is my first time doing this so i have a lot of questions and I have no idea what im doing at this point. Any help is greatly apreciated. I have spent hours looking on google for this information with no succsess.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Muscovies take 35 days on average- so you are nearly there. 5 weeks is such a long time to be nervously awaiting the little ones to hatch.

Lockdown for scovies is day 32. That means STOP turning and INCREASE humidity. When did you count day one?? Was it the day you put them into the incubator- or once they had been in for 24 hours? because it takes 35 days from when the core of the egg reaches the correct incubation temperature, its important to remember about the extra day so that you dont stress too much thinking they are late.

What temperature have you had the incubator running at? You shouldnt need to change it for hatching- but some people do put it down just a fraction of a degree. Humidity for hatching should be around 80%. To increase the humidity you need to increase the surface area of water- depth doesnt change it.

Hope some of this will help.

3. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    x2 on everything there [​IMG]
    Hey Duckyfromoz! Havent seen you in ages!!! Remember me? [​IMG]

Good luck on the babies!! When they hatch, post pictures. Please? [​IMG]

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Good to see you too laceynoelle, How could I forget you!!! I tend to stick mostly to the duck pages- but have seen a post or two from you around the forum so knew you were still around.

And K4zn4v3 .... photos are a very important part of incubation as well. Its a must that if you ask for help on these pages - that you post pictures after thy hatch so everyone can comment on what a brilliant job you have done with your incubation ( boosting your confidence for next time round ) and how gorgeous your babies are!!! [​IMG]

5. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Quote:Thanky you very much. I feel much more confident about what I'm doing now. I did allow time for the eggs to warm up before I started counting days. The temperature in the incubator has been right around 99.5.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by