When do I take these chicks out of there? First time help please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by caseyBlane, Jan 29, 2013.

1. caseyBlane

caseyBlane Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    At day 14 I took out all the obvious duds. Right on time on day 21 the first chick hatched out (3 hours past the time I set them.) over the next 12 hours 13 more chicks hatched out. There are about 12 eggs left with nothing else going on. It's been 36 hours since the first chick hatched and they are all in there. About 12 hours since the last one hatched. Do I get them out? That's all in the hovabator.

The little giant is slower. Set at the same time. The first two hatched out during the night. Everything else looks quiet. 30 eggs still in there.

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Some eggs hatch slower, give it more time unless you can candled them. If the babies are completley dry, take them out and put them under heat lamp.

3. caseyBlane

Jan 26, 2011
    Thanks. 15 out and soon as I did another hatched out! Ha! More pippin in the little giant now too. Thanks!

4. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    [​IMG][​IMG]Yay!! what kind of chickies are you hatching? we need to see some pictues ! congrats !!

5. caseyBlane

Jan 26, 2011
    Delawares from my stock and some black Orpington Ameraucana crosses I had mailed to me. The 2nd incubator has more Delawares and a variety of Easter Eggers and leghorns I got from someone else.[​IMG][/IMG]

6. caseyBlane

Jan 26, 2011
    [​IMG]

7. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    Congrats, your chickies are so cute! :)

8. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    You can leave the chicks in there for quite some time, remember, chicks can live for as long as 48 hours on the yolk they absorb into their abdomen. That's how we can ship them! I am of the "leave them in there" school, better to have the humidity left undisturbed so any that are still going to hatch, can.

After 2 days take the dry ones out, but do it fast so any that have pipped won't dry in the shell. I will sometimes use a mister filled with very warm water to add back in some humidity too.

9. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I got big smile on my face ! [​IMG] awesome ![​IMG]

10. caseyBlane

Jan 26, 2011
    27 out from 54 eggs. Excited that we had some hatch and have plenty of room to improve. Two have leg problems. And don't seem to be able to walk. They were two of the last. How long do I give the rest of the eggs to hatch. It's been 24 hours since the last hatch. Thanks for all the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by