When do I worry about chick not eating

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by L0rraine, May 19, 2010.

1. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    I have four "day" old (bantam chicks) from the feed store that I've put under our broody. Three will eat and drink (a tiny bit) but one wanders over to the food and water, but doesn't touch it, and then tries to worm it's way back under mom (who by the way seems to be a very gentle mother). How long can they go before they need much sustenance? The Silkie hen seems quite content to cover her brood quite near to the food and water so they don't have far to go for future 'outings'. My first chicks were given to me after they were a week old and otherwise most of my babies have been ducklings who have seemed quite robust almost immediately. Will the little reluctant one gain a little strength over night? Or will I need to try to do something to encourage it to eat.

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Chicks can survive for about 3 days after hatching, without any food or water.

A broody mama will usually teach them to eat and drink, but if you don't see this one going for at least water in the next day or so, i would gently show it how to drink.

3. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Thank you! I just needed a bit of reassurance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by