1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do i

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Jesusfreak101, May 12, 2016.

1. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Start raising turkey for thanksgiving dinner and christmas dinner and what breed is the best?

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    For this year. I would go broad breasted bronze or white.

For next year or if you want a self sustaining flock look at heritage varieties

3. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Thank you!!

4. Jrose

Jrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    It also depends on what kind of turkey you want, and what size bird you want :) A Heritage poult you start raising RIGHT NOW won't be a 25lb bird on the table, but if you wanted a small 7-10lb bird, you can pull it off. Your broad breasted can top out at 35lb+ for the toms, they're nothing to shake a stick at and they'll eat you out of house and home! I watched my friend raise up a few dozen BB's for fall selling- I watched those birds free range on several acres and still blow through 10 gallons+ feed a day, and I have to wonder if she even managed to break even :s I like my heritage because they thrive on pasture alone most of the year! You can grain em, but you don't 'have' to :)

5. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Ok well we arent havent fully decided quite yet right now i have 41 birds (six ducks, 35 chickens) those range from a year old all the way down to three-four week old bantams. I have to cull some or sell them we have the room for them but i only have twenty layers and we live a way out of town so hard enough to get of the eggs only 18 lay. Much less when the three month olds start [​IMG] i might have let chicken math get to me. I just need to decide what i am going to do with the extras first.

6. Jrose

Jrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013

Oh no! That's the worst kind of decision! C'mon, what's one more turkey ;)

7. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Lmao i was told by my hubby not to go over 40 i already have one extra lol. He ok with getting some turkeys but i want to get four lol hopefully two for this year and two to breed so i dont have to keep buying chicks. We have the room but i cant handle the flys (no window screens)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by