When do I???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luvchicks8, May 29, 2010.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I have a silkie sitting on 3 eggs when and how do I know if there fertile eggs?? Silly question but I really don't know.

2. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Hi do you have a rooster? Did you get the eggs from someone?? You can candle them and see There is lots of info and here on how to candle eggs [​IMG]

3. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I have a silkie rooster but can he fertalize my larger hens eggs or is he to small? Yes I am emabrassed asking but I know big dogs can mate small dogs?

4. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    When she has sat on them for 2 weeks you could candle them to see if anything is growing in there. If they are fertile you should have some chicks approx 20 days after she began to set.

ETA: I have 2 silkie roos plus 2 EE roos. The silkies have never fathered any of the eggs that I have hatched. Not sure if it's because they are so much smaller than the hens or if the big boys just won't let them try....[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  5. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    I only have Bantams so Im not sure if he can I believe I have read on here that yes they can Maybe someone will come along and give you an awnser What kind of eggs are under your silkie?

6. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    All my chickens are bantam I have..
    1 barred rock. 1 slwd, 1 silkie, 1 partridge cochen, EE

those are the only ones in with Elvis

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by