When Do Male Musovies Become Sexually Mature??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hayleigh Barnes, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Hayleigh Barnes

Hayleigh Barnes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2012
    Australia
    Hi all! I posted on here a while ago about my female muscovy, Leonard, wondering if she was a girl haha. I went on the assumption that she was a girl and I bought her a 6 week old boyfriend called Stuart.

Stuart is now about 3.5 months old and he is already starting to mount leonard. Leonard starting laying eggs about 2 or 3 weeks ago. So I'm guessing that means shes ready to have babies. But when will Stuart be mature enough to fertilize her eggs?

If anyone could help that would be great. Thank you!

2. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    i am not 100% but all the research I've done on Muscovy ducks it all said they reach maturity (male or female) at a year of age.

3. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    All of my Muscovy Drakes were topping the girls around 6 and a half months of age and the eggs were fertilized.

Michelle

4. Hayleigh Barnes

Oct 30, 2012
    Australia
    How can you tell when they are fertilized? Like, we eat leonards eggs at the moment but how will i know when to stop taking them out and let her sit on them. How will I even knoe if shes ready to sit on them. Haha sorry for so many questions. Thank you!

5. Hayleigh Barnes

Oct 30, 2012
    Australia
    Yeah I've heard multiple things too. Bit confusing but thank you!

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    My muscovy were born around March. My drake started trying to breed at about 5 months old. 2 of my hens started laying in September, 1 for only a week or so and the other went broody at the end of October and hatched out 13 ducklings on 12/5. They may mature a little later than other ducks but at less than 1 year old. They are technically seasonal layers so you may not see many eggs in fall/winter.

To tell if the egg's are fertile look at the yolk. An infertile egg will usually have a white dot on the yolk. A fertile one will have a "bull's eye". Here's a link https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

7. Hayleigh Barnes

Oct 30, 2012
    Australia
    Thank you so much. Yeah I saw that thread. Didn't know if they were duck eggs for chicken eggs. lol Thanks again

8. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    All poultry eggs are the same for how to tell if fertile or not :)

9. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Yup, the bullseye is how I tell. I have a Mucovy Hen on a nest right now (her name is Bleenie and she is "always" wanting to go broody, she doesn't care what time of year it is lol). I'll be candling the eggs in the next few days to check the progress.

Michelle

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Cannot be the drake who produced all of the young this year was less than 1yo lol Heck my last hatch the drakelets were um, testing out the procedure at 3mths lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by