When do mallards stop laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tdmason, May 27, 2010.

1. tdmason

tdmason Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    I have a pair of mallards and just recently got the female. I was told she was sitting on eggs when I got her but they didn't have a male so they weren't fertile. A couple of days after I got her, she layed 5 eggs but never would sit on them so I checked two and they were bth infertile so I took all of them out. Is it too late for her to lay more? It has been about 4 days now so I was thinking she was done and I have never seem them even try to mate. Both are definitly of age and are full grown. I had the male since he was a couple of weeks old but never had a hen for him.

2. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    My Mallards are some of my most prolific layers. I have several that lay almost year round. It all depends on the bird and the situation. A lot of birds halt laying soon after being moved to a new home and then restart once they are adjusted. Some continue to lay without much interruption. They also don't necessarily go broody just because they lay eggs. It would be doubtful that one would lay a clutch of eggs and go broody immediately after being moved to a new environment. Give her time! I would bet she will lay more before the end of the season. [​IMG]

3. tdmason

tdmason Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    Thanks! I really hoped that she would. We are digging a pond and I wanted a group so that I can make them an area out there near it. I guess I have had her about a month now but still nothing. Do you know if there is something special that they like to eat? I have never really had ducks or new much about them, just think they are so darn cute! LOL! They eat a mixture or corn, dog food, cat food and alfalfa pellets. They just go around eating all the other animals feed before I pened them so I just kept giving them what they liked! LOL!

4. DallasAndJesse

DallasAndJesse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2013
    Arkansas
    I've got a pair of mallards I raised from hatchlings this spring that are very well fed and very comfortable in my backyard. They are both mature now. Will my hen lay infertile eggs before the next spring? I have a nesting box built.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by