when do most preditors strike

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by otonoh, May 6, 2011.

1. otonoh

otonoh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    hi everyone, I just built my coop and a 5x9 hardware cloth run. I have 8 chickens. I am planning on having a larger summer run made out of regular green fencing with a chicken wire cover.
    Is this safe enough for the day light hours. My neigbor has chickens and she has this as their 24/7 year round run and has never lost a chicken. I just want to be sure

thanks

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    When do most predators strike? Whenever they're hungry. I've seen all the "nocturnal" preditors out at any hour of the day. The only way to keep your chickens 100% safe is to lock them in a padded coop and run, and even then *something* would find its way in.

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    minimum human activity no special time,they are quiet opportunistic

4. John farmer

John farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Tontitown, AR.
    It depends on the predator owls seem to strike in the night and coons also , but dogs cats and coyotes will strike anytime.

5. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Quote:x2 I've had 2 hawks try their luck and I was within 10 ft of the birds both times.

6. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    24/7/365!

7. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    The moment you let your guard down!

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Dogs, foxes, cats, and coyotes, anytime, day or night. Owls usually at night, but can be early twilight. Hawks and eagles during the day. Skunks, mink, weasels, and raccoons, more often at night, but can be out in the daylight. Snakes, almost always daylight hours. 2 legged jackals, anytime that you aren't home, day or night.

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:x2 I've had 2 hawks try their luck and I was within 10 ft of the birds both times.

my birds are covered the area they are in would prove hard for a hawk to get underneath I have hawks and owls that live here with me red tails and sparrow hawks and ospreys as well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by