When do mottled bantams become mottled?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AlicesSilkies, Sep 10, 2012.

1. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a 2and a half month old bantam, that was supposed to be a black and white mottled bantam, but is still just black.
    Is this normal?

Thanks gang
    [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    From what I have seen, no it is not normal. I'd think you would see some mottling.

The gene that makes them mottled is a recessive gene. Both pairs at that gene location have to be mottled for mottling to show in adult plumage.

Chicks will molt twice before they reach adult size. They simply outgrow their feathers and have to replace them. At 2-1/2 months, yours should have already molted once, but it should have one more juvenile molt to go.

With my chickens that are split for the mottling gene (only one of the gene pair is mottled), it is pretty normal to have some mottling to show up in the juvenile plumage but none shows up in the adult plumage. When they are split, they don't show a lot of mottling in the juvenile feathers and all of them don't show it. In a recent hatch from a Speckeld Sussex rooster and Black Australorp hens, about half the chicks showed mottling at 4-1/2 weeks. Each time they molt, they show less.

Here is an example of chicks split for mottling. These are 4-1/2 weeks old at the time. They have grown and show no mottling at 3-1/2 months.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It's possible yours is split for mottling but I sure don't think it's pure.

3. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks so much for your reply, at the moment my mottled looks like this,

[​IMG]

The black one in the corner.

[​IMG]
    The black one in the front.
    I dont think it will ever go white, oh well, i still love her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by