When Do Muscovies Start Laying?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DarkWingDuck, Apr 6, 2009.

1. DarkWingDuck

DarkWingDuck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Meville
    Since spring has finally arrived and it's my first year of keeping muscovies, I'm not sure when I should start seeing eggs. Right now, the temperature mostly stays in the 60s. My coop contains 3 hens and 1 drake. Should they already be laying by now?

2. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are your hens? Muscovy ducks don't begin laying at as young an age as say khaki campbells. If the hens are from a late summer or fall hatching you may have to wait a little bit until they finish maturing.

3. DarkWingDuck

DarkWingDuck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Meville
    Two of the hens are young. They have light caruncaling getting started at the backs of their bills. The third hen is fully mature and around 2 - 3 years old (she escaped several months ago and I recently caught her).

4. ShadyGlade

I'm in zone 5 and my mallards have started to lay but the Muscovy haven't yet. They are just starting their breeding behaviors so eggs should start with in a few weeks now.

5. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Hi! I live here in Ontario about an 1.15 from the Detroit border and this is also my first year with muscovies. I have to hens and 1 drake the were born may 4 08. They are 11 month old. They have started laying eggs, my one hen has 4 eggs and the other has 22! They only sit on their eggs at night and its pretty cold here( not freezing). Do you know if the eggs will still be okay?
    Thanks Tara

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Nothing here yet either. And i checked every nook and cranny where a scovy could fit. MOOCHERS!!

7. ShadyGlade

One of the pens of Muscovy started laying yesterday so hopefully they'll begin in earnest soon. Now if my calls ducks would just start laying I'd be happier.

8. ygftdtdkdyeykty

ygftdtdkdyeykty New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    They are environmentally helpful. They rid our yard of many insects including; mosquitoes and spiders. They also rid out yards of snakes, and small rodents . you need to build a bigger coop and put large piles of straw/ hay or put large nesting boxes with hay/ straw. they should start laying at around 5-6 months. IN SPRING OR SUMMER OR FALL. if they lay in the winter they will crack or they will break. When you know they have started laying get the eggs as fast as possible because the boy duck always comes after he sees the girl duck leave and will eat the egg.\

hopefully this is helpful

thank you
    reply back if necessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by