When do Muscovies start to lay?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Pheasant283, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Pheasant283

Pheasant283 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    SD
    New to Muscovies have had them about 6 months. Just wondering what month they start to lay? I live in SD.

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I had some start at 4mths but that was definitely on the younger end. I'd say 6mth or more depending on weather temps and so forth. I have a few younger ones right now(6 & 8mths) i don't think any of them are laying yet. I had a few adults going then most have slowed off and i am back to one laying only. Another is on a nest lol

3. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Hi there from what I have found it it is usually about 1 year of age. check out http://www.avianweb.com/muscovyduck.html if you haven't already. I'm looking to get two - three females once I get some scrap materials. Good luck with everything and let me know how things work out with you!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have had them start as early as 6 months and as late as 10 months, I'd say start looking soon. Spring at least. [​IMG]

5. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    1yo? that would be really on the old side. Also, that article... ducks do quack, just not often, drakes however never do, they are not low fliers either mine clear a 5ft fence like it was a post on the ground [​IMG]

I also don't get that Nagging Muscovy drake aggressor statements, yes.. ALL drakes can be handful, but i don't consider them to be the supreme drake of that category.

6. miquwid

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Thanks for the information this is really good to know. People look at me strange around here when I ask about the breed so I've just been trying to do as much research as possible. We want to get a few and are in the process of building a coop for them.

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    There a good duck, i think often rather misunderstood. I am surprised how despite thinking i had heard it all, up comes another misconception about them lol Mind you here they have become VERY popular with the horse folks for fly control, it's well documented.

8. miquwid

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Yes I have heard of that, I wish I had them back when I had a horse. But still they seem like a great duck to have so for now I am going to keep on working on their coop and hopefully I can get in contact with a reputable hatchery that has Muscovies.

9. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Good luck in your search. They can be rather tricky to find, i have had to do quite a bit of searching to build up my flock, mind you as time has passed i have been able to build my flock using my own.

10. miquwid

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Thanks you, would you recommend that I start with 2 hens and 1 make. my original thought was just to have 2 hens and use their eggs when they lay them for making baked goods.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by