When do my chicks get "big girl grit"?

JenMT

Songster
11 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Kalispell, Montana
I give my 7 week old pullets free choice chick grit because I sometimes give them treats. When do they graduate to the regular grit?
idunno.gif
Which do you prefer, granite grit or oyster shell grit for calcium?

P.S. They will not go outside for foraging for another 2-3 weeks still.

Your birds do not need Oyster Shell until they are at Laying Age. The Crushed Oyster Shell is for Calcium.

I've read on BYC that Grit and Oyster Shell don't do the same thing... IDK... My chickens have access to plenty of natural 'grit' so I've never bought any.

So, were your baby chicks outside eating "big" grit? They can't choke or get hurt from eating grit that is too big for them? Does the size even matter?

I know when Momma Hen takes her chicks around, they just scratch and peck where they want to. I personally have never had issues with chicks of any age picking up the wrong size gravel...

I've never even offered any of my chickens grit. They just take care of themselves in that respect.

Now I do offer Crushed Oyster Shells free choice to anyone that wants it.

**All of my chickens have access to the ground, where they dig and peck. They also have access to my drive way which is comprised of rocks. If they were put somewhere off of the ground, and fed feed other than their chick starter, then I would offer grit.

Oyster shell is for calcium. Grit is for proper digestion. Once my chicks were outside pecking around I stopped offering grit.

If your chickens are penned and not free-range, you could mix the smaller chick grit with regular-sized grit until the birds are full grown. That way they can choose the grit they need.

Two nights ago, I popped into Petsmart to pick up some meal worms and finch grit that's about the size of sand.

The meal worms were my 4 week old's first snack. They ate em up and came to my lap and arms for more. Most of them that is. One of the EE's that has always ran around screaming the sky is falling the sky is falling is too nervous to go for a worm put in front of it and one small BO will grab at one if dropped in the brooder.

If you want your chicks to LOVE you get some meal worms.

Back
Top Bottom