1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do my roo's begin to crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Che, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC
    I bought some eggs off ebay around 2 or 3 months ago... Well they hatched on mothers day (which was surprising seeing as they were 18 days incubated) Now I have ten chicken and they are 9 weeks old. I am able to tell the facial features of the males (I have four roo's) and they are all trying to crow but only when I let them out of coop or get close to the coop.....Its really soft crows, seeing as I never had chickens I don't know what to really expect.....and should I separate the roo's from the hen's by now? so yea any advice would be extremely helpful.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We're so trendy we can't even escape ourselves.[​IMG]
    Kurt Cobain

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2011
  2. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Usually at 4-6 months old. But some can start at two, and some don't until eight or nine. So it depends. Do you know what breed he is? [​IMG]

3. jason180sx

jason180sx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    ireland
    My Light Sussex Roo Crowed At 14 Weeks

4. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC
    Quote:I have 2 pure bred silkie (one white and one brown) the other two I am not sure they are mixed with some silkie though

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by