When do NJ Giants start laying? What snacks can I offer them? Newbie!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by weesy68, May 13, 2009.

1. weesy68

weesy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    I have two chickens that I thought were Australorps until I noticed the yellow soles of their feet, I'm assuming they are NJ Giants. I got them from a live poultry place where no-one speaks English and the only info I got was Ninas, Huevos, cinco months. So I'm assuming they are five months old! I've had them now for about two weeks and they seem to be settling in, they were very sick when I first brought them home, but now seem perfectly healthy and full of beans.

At what age can I expect them to start laying? Also, what treats can I feed them besides their layer feed/oyster shell mix? Can chickens eat grapes? Is there anything I should avoid besides raw potato skins? Any advice is appreciated!

Someone please remind me how to link a photo here, it's not clear, I'll add some pictures so you can tell me if you think they are jersey girls:)

2. weesy68

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    Figured it out, pics below

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  3. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Couldn't view, says page cannot be found.

4. weesy68

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    [​IMG]

5. weesy68

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  6. weesy68

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    [​IMG]

7. sarafrog

sarafrog Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Sacramento
    I have 2 Australorps and one has yellowish/brownish shanks with yellow soles but the other has more greyish shanks and feet. So, I'm not sure if shank and foot color are reliable indicators of breed. These look like they could be Australorps...time may tell as they reach their full size. Jerseys are known for being slow to mature. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by