1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do older roos start attacking younger roos?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Deltabwa, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Deltabwa

Deltabwa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2016
    Southeast Montana
    I have a 9 mo old roo and 2 hens. About a month ago i integrated 17 - 8 wk old chicks. 3 cockerels and 15 hens. They are now 11 weeks old. Things have been going really well but i noticed the roo, who had previously mostly left them alone unless they got in his way, is now starting to "herd" a few of the girls. I call it herd, but i know most call it "the mating dance" but this guy doesn't do it to mate, he does it with the older girls, when he wants them yo do something or if they do something wrong. Example, coming out in the morning, if they come out and run to drink, he will go after them (he always let's them out first) to make them eat first.

He has started taking notice in the young girls and getting them to do the same. The other day i noticed one of the young roos crowing. He is also starting to stand tall and showing some "im the boss" attitude.

So it go me wondering, at what point do i need to separate them (the roos) so i dont come out one morning to a dead bird? Are there any signs i should watch for?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    There is no pat answer to your question. What breed/s do you have? Some roosters will never tolerate another rooster (Think game breeds here.) while other times multiple roosters get along fine. In some cases it might depend on the breed, how many hens you have and how much space you have.
    Sometimes roosters will work independently and sometimes they work together in watching out for the flock.
    It does help, I think if your roosters have been raised within the flock. They will have a pecking order and at most a skirmish to determine rank.
    Usually I have several roosters with minimal problems.

3. Deltabwa

Oct 30, 2016
    Southeast Montana
    The older is a barred rock, mix i think, as he is more than black and white. The young roos are an andalusian, slw, and delaware. Not real worried about the Delaware as i think he may be dinner. The Andalusian is the one that i was referring too.

So you rhink since they have onky been together for 4 weeks, but was still immature, that that the old one would be considered raised together? Im not worried about the 3 young ones, just the big one vs little ones

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Well allot of time some roosters pay absolutely no attention towards chicks when they were very young 2,8,9,10,13 weeks,in fact some do not even know there is a cockerel in the batch.That is of course the cockerel has not begun showing too much interest in the girls.My chicks are generally completely ignored unless they are either in within 6 feet of my rooster.That goes for a cockerel too,but immediately once the cockerel begins being a Teenager,he's seen as a threat,and that seems to be when the aggression between not only the Alpha roo,but the younger roo as well.

5. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I have bantam roosters and large fowl roosters together with no problems. The bantams are maybe 1/5 the size of the big guys. They sleep together in the main coop and free range during the day.
    They may skirmish a bit (no one gets hurt) while they figure out a pecking order but that has been it.
    About the worst I had and it was funny was when I was down to bantam roosters only and brought in an adult large fowl rooster. After quarantine I let him out to forage with the hens. The bantam roosters had taken over the flock or thought they had and they were having none of it. He was being a real gentleman about the situation so I locked the bantam boys up for a week to give him time to adjust to the flock and they to him without interference. Even the bantam girls were left with the big flock.
    After a week when I let them lose he was a little more assertive in staying with the flock. Now everyone gets along including the young cockerel (now 8 months old.) I am keeping as my backup rooster.

6. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Lot's of times they have an order between every rooster in the flock,dominate man,and then subordinates.

My cockerel can trail behind the flock,but generally has to makes several other transitions as they go along because the alpha guy may want whatever he has or just in general wants his area.

7. Deltabwa

Oct 30, 2016
    Southeast Montana
    Ok so you bith feel that he probably won't attack? Besides the normal pecking ordet? Thatd be great cuz i really like this andy. Hes a splash and i have a blue andy. I will eventually separate them, would love a splash girl :)

Thanks

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you can tell who is a cockerel now, and don't intend to house them together long term, why not move them out now? I don't understand why you'd wait until there is an issue?

I've had mature roosters be very tolerant of cockerels after 6 months, and I've had them decide the younger guy had to go at 2-3 months. You really can't predict how they're going to react, especially to each individual cockerel.

1 person likes this.
  9. Deltabwa

Oct 30, 2016
    Southeast Montana
    Coop is not built yet. And to be honest, if I can get away with NOT separating them, I won't, but I was under the impression that I would have too eventually. School sports has kinda gotten in the way, and hub has another project that he decided to do first, only it's taking him longer to get it finished than anticipated so the coop has been pushed back.

I was also going to house them different but in the same run together. But again, if I don't have too, I won't. There is enough room in the coop for them both if they can get along.

Thanks

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by