When do roo's grow their spurs and start crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsp523, Jul 20, 2010.

1. mrsp523

mrsp523 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Western Mass
    Im sure its different for each type of bird, but on average when do they start crowing and growing their spurs? In particular I am wondering about my buff that is a cross with something that we are not sure of. (we are not even sure if he is a he). After posting pics on here, most said pullet, but I had a friend come over and she was leaning much more towards a roo that just hasn't "grown up yet".
    Thanks for feed back.

2. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

check its legs...around where you would normally find the spurs on the legs that should help out..as for crowing that depends on the individual bird.

3. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Buff Rock started at 10wks, Barred Rock a couple days later. Now at 17 wks the barred is pushing spurs, the Buff not as fast.

4. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Mine have mostly started crowing around 3-4 months old. I've got some 5 month olds still not crowing.

5. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I have a Speckled Sussex that just started yesterday - he was supposed to be a she - at 13wks old. No sign of spurs yet or any other rooster like behavior. He does have a big appetite though. His crow sounds really funny, I'm sure he will become better at it as times goes on. I just hope he doesn't drive us nuts with it:p

6. mkearsley

mkearsley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    South-west Idaho
    I have a 2-month old I was told was a pullet, but "she" started trying to crow a week or so ago. I've had three other roosters that are three months old now & full-out crowing (gave them to a friend). One was a barred rock, which started crowing around 2 1/2 months, I think the New hampshire red (he was HUGE!) started crowing a few weeks after the rock & my favorite (don't know his breed, but he's the most gorgous brown with irridecents on his tail & wing) was crowing around 2 months, and he's the loudest of the bunch. None of them (as far as I know) have spurs......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by