When do Roos have to go?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gaitanm24, Mar 28, 2016.

1. gaitanm24

gaitanm24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2016
    Killeen, Texas
    I am new to chicken keeping. I have 14 chickens. Of those 14, probably 5-6 of them are roosters...we will keep one at my husband's request - probably the white leghorn. Is there an age that I must get all the extra roosters out? They are 8 weeks old right now.

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    [​IMG]
    When they're about 12-16 weeks old (depends on the particular rooster), their hormones will kick in and they'll start crowing, squabbling among each other, and annoying the heck out of the pullets. That's usually the age I get rid of mine. However, if you're thinking about butchering them, they would be slaughtered sometime after 18-20 weeks (if they're not meat birds).

1 person likes this.
  3. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA

I'm not an expert but in MY experience IF they roo's grow up together the alpha is established early on&part of that dominance is just 'nature'. That doesn't mean they won't still check each other from time to time (especially as spring nears). It seems they do better if same kind but that might just be at my place? That's a few too many roo's though for amount of hens(for me to be comfy) unless you don't mind your hens having naked backs year round! If your gonna keep more then one roo, I def would not split them up-you don't want a stand off at time they are in same area. Just what I have witnessed in my own back yard.(hope that helps?)

4. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Are you going to try to sell? Or eat? You will know when it is time, usually around 6 months. The roosters will start to crow first. Then they will beging to mate the hens, and maybe fight, I would look at rehoming once they start crowing. Roosters can be difficult to get rid of, everyone has them. If you are willing, eating them might be smarter. Because you have a layer flock, your chickens will be small, but if you cull at around 16 weeks they shouldn't be too tough for fryers.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  5. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA
    I'd also make sure you select (if choosing a lone flock keeper) a strong trait bearing roo, like imagine bucks in a field as a Hunter,,,leave the biggest&nicest rack to breed the doe's so you get more nice bucks in the futurd,,,nobody wants to take unbalanced racks or outnumber points to the taxidermy!

6. gaitanm24

Mar 27, 2016
    Killeen, Texas

The place I bought them from said we could bring back the roosters and he would trade out. I probably won't bother trading out as I dont want to overcrowd my birds.

My white leghorn and one of the 3 buff orpington Roos are already crowing at 8 weeks! Kid you not!

7. gaitanm24

Mar 27, 2016
    Killeen, Texas

Being that I don't know what breed perfection would be, I have no idea what I'm looking for or against. We were considering keeping our white leghorn. He has matured the fastest and seems to be the alpha as of right now. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    I once had a cockerel crowing while he was still in the brooder! [​IMG]

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Depends on your goals for having a male....so you want to hatch out eggs or just have a male strutting around?
    If you're just going to rehome them you can do it anytime....but they will become sexually mature around 4 months and start causing trouble.
    They might not fight, but they will compete for the pullets and the girls' lives will be hell.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  10. gaitanm24

Mar 27, 2016
    Killeen, Texas

Yes, I would say my husband would like one male just strutting around to be honest. He does enjoy hearing the morning crows which bring him back to his homeland of Honduras where chickens are FREE range and coops are unheard of. That's what trees are for!

Personally, I'd be fine with no male, so if any stay, it will only be one for sure. The place I bought them from said I could return the males. How nice of him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by