When do roos start crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by whoacowboy, Jul 11, 2011.

1. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    I have an 18 week old barred rock. "She" has been acting a little dominate. She pecks at me when I pet then other hens. She has biiiig legs. But I haven't heard anything close to a crow from her. Any thoughts?

2. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I have one of those also.....she/he?? is 14 wks and I still can't tell. Huge legs and feet, much larger than the other chicks (same age). Seems to boss the others around,,,, but no sound from" it ". Maybe she will just be a huge hen.

3. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Quote:got a picture? she may be the dominate female....my NH and Red Sex Link do the same thing, very dominate but very female [​IMG]

4. whoacowboy

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    By reading the forums, I feel he is more half and half versus more black. And like you said, he's a lot bigger than his sisters. It seems like they attempt crow sounds by now. I hope "she" never does and just lays eggs instead. We will have to find Shish Kabob a new home otherwise. Because unlike the name, we won't ever kabob our babies.[​IMG]

5. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Quote:Can you post pictures? Barred Rocks are pretty easy to sex due to most males looking like this:
    [​IMG]
    and the females this:
    [​IMG]

My earliest crow was 8wks, but some roosters are late bloomers.

6. whoacowboy

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And while I'm at it...what would you all the hen in the foreground, black eyes, blak skin, feathered feet.

7. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Quote:Looks like a girl to me and I'm not seeing any boys along the others either.

8. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    I would call the hen in the background a SILKIE [​IMG]

A picture of one of my silkies
    [​IMG]

9. Matt M

Matt M Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2016
    Okay my chicks I have 8 BO and there 5 1/2 weeks old and one crowed this mornig is that early for them to start crowing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by