When do Rooster Hormones Kick In?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Getaway Gal, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Getaway Gal

Getaway Gal Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Hocking Hills
    I am faced with the possibility of three roosters (I think) when I only wanted one. I am not sure whether to re-home now, or to wait until the roster hormones I've heard about kick in so that I can see what their temperaments are like. I have one at 11 weeks, and the other two at six weeks. At what age can I expect those rooster genes to kick in so that I can tell what they will be like?

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    It all depends on the breed as to when they mature. The average is about 6 months. If the have all been raised together and never separated then you might not have a problem; especially if they are free-range. saladin

3. lilmouthy

lilmouthy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I have 3 roosters also. They are all about 15 weeks...mine have just started grabbing a hold of the hens. They'll get on top and try to do their thing,but so far,the hens haven't let them. I have been telling DH all this time that there's NO WAY I'm getting rid of ANY of my roos...all 3 are my fav out of all the chickens...but after the last few days,I'm starting to rethink that. With that many roos and only 8 hens,the hens are starting to get bothered way to much for my liking. Not only that,but my Fav Roo,who has been the tamest out of all my chickens,acted like he was going to flog me yesterday. He may be the first to go into my stew pot!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by